School Consolidation Requires New Transportation
This photo of the wagons in front of the Cache la Poudre school is now in the Fort Collins Archive (H03019).
A new educational plan was sweeping through rural areas across the United States in the early 1900s. This cutting edge movement called for an end to one-room school houses. Instead, multiple rural schools would be consolidated into one larger school with multiple grade-level classrooms. The Cache la Poudre school was one of the first consolidated schools in the state of Colorado.
But with consolidation came transportation concerns. Whereas before students might walk, ride their own horse to school, or be dropped off by a parent, consolidation required students to travel longer distances. So a wagon making company located in Delphi, Indiana, began making school wagons, to help consolidated districts collect their students.
According to an October 24, 1913 article in the Weekly Courier, District 60 (the CLP school district made up of several smaller districts) ordered six school wagons from the Delphi Wagon Company. The article goes on to explain that, “These wagons are not unlike the wagons used years ago for the conveyance of prisoners from one jail to another. They were known then as Christy wagons or the Black Maria. They are fitted with side curtains to protect the children from the weather, and the driver is taken care of as well.”